Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Random Acts

I work for an ad agency and in our office, there are three account executives who support the work of the account supervisors. I used to directly supervise the executives, but for the past year I have been in a role in which we don't really work together. However, I regularly seek ways to help them grow in their knowledge and speak words of encouragement to them.

Last week, I took these three folks out to lunch. They were curious as to what "the catch" was (which is funny because this isn't the first time I have done this). Anyhow, I said there was no catch. I explained that the work of the people they support is not possible without them and that I remember from the past how much they enrich the work experience of those they support. I thought it was important to remind them of this because their current supervisors aren't really intentional about telling them how good they are.

One of the executives was especially responsive to this act of kindness. He said, "You know, thank you so much for saying that. We need to hear that sometimes. It is nice to know that we are appreciated."

I just thought about how important it is to speak life into people. There is so much negativity in our business that can bring discouragement.

2 Corinthians 2:14-16
14But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. 15For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task? 17Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment